Many web sites deliberately disable user interface features in Safari that you normally expect to work. StopTheMadness re-enables those features for you in Safari:
• opening contextual menus
• selecting, copying, cutting, and pasting of text
• drag and drop
• AutoFill/autocomplete of passwords, emails, etc.
StopTheMadness also protects your privacy on the web:
• Stops Google AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages)! Automatically loads the original “canonical” web site page instead of Google AMP.
• Removes tracking tags such as utm_source, gclid, and fbclid from the end of URLs.
• Stops clickjacking in Google Search, Gmail, Facebook, and DuckDuckGo.
• Stops hyperlink auditing (anchor “ping”).
• Stops tracking beacons (Navigator.sendBeacon).
• Stops sites from using the Page Visibility API to know when a tab is visible on your screen.
• Stops URL shorteners. Checks the links you click in Safari for well-known link shorteners — bit.ly, tinyurl.com, l.facebook.com, t.co, etc. — and loads the unshortened destination URL instead of the shortened URL. This occurs without setting any cookies or other site data, so you can’t be tracked by your click.
• Stop videos from autoplaying. This works even on sites where Safari doesn’t stop autoplay. You can also stop sites in Safari from pausing your audio in a background app.
• Show native video controls. Use Picture-in-Picture from Safari on sites that don’t normally support it!
• Hides the annoying popup banners prompting you to get the app on Google, DuckDuckGo, Reddit, Tumblr, and Instagram!
• Custom URL redirects! Redirect new Reddit to old Reddit, Twitter to Nitter, YouTube to Invidious, etc. You can create any redirect that you want!
• Enable pinch-to-zoom on sites that prevent it, such as old reddit.
• Stops “Are you sure you want to leave this page?” alerts. Close your tabs without getting stopped by the site!
• Force external links to open in the current tab instead of a new tab. Remove target=”_blank” from links so that they no longer automatically create a new tab.
• Force external links to open in a new tab instead of the current tab. This is great if you’re scrolling through a list of links and want to open each one in a new tab.
• Force images to the front. Bypass the transparent overlay on sites that prevents you from dragging and opening the contextual menu on images.
• Warns when you paste or type beyond the maximum length in a password field or other text field. Stops you from accidentally losing characters!
StopTheMadness is made by indie developer Jeff Johnson. The support link has documentation and my email address.
Redirect new Reddit to old Reddit, Twitter to Nitter, YouTube to Invidious, etc.
You can create any redirect that you want!
• It’s now easier to start playing embedded YouTube videos with “Stop autoplaying videos”.
• Added igshid, ref_src, and ref_url to the URL tracking parameters removed by “Stop link trackers”.
• When duplicating website options, custom CSS and JS elements are now also duplicated.
• Allow paste of 2FA codes on the App Store Connect login page.