Made by indie developer Jeff Johnson. The support link has documentation and my email address.
Many web sites deliberately disable user interface features in Safari that you normally expect to work. StopTheMadness re-enables those features for you in Safari:
• opening contextual menus
• selecting, copying, cutting, and pasting of text
• drag and drop
• AutoFill/autocomplete of passwords, emails, etc.
• 2-finger click to open a link in a new tab
StopTheMadness also protects your privacy on the web:
• Stops Google AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages)! Automatically loads the original “canonical” web site page instead of Google AMP.
• Removes tracking tags such as utm_source, gclid, and fbclid from the end of URLs.
• Stops clickjacking in Google Search, Gmail, Facebook, and DuckDuckGo.
• Stops hyperlink auditing (anchor “ping”).
• Stops tracking beacons (Navigator.sendBeacon).
• Stops sites from using the Page Visibility API to know when a tab is visible on your screen.
• Stops URL shorteners. Checks the links you click in Safari for well-known link shorteners — bit.ly, tinyurl.com, l.facebook.com, t.co, etc. — and loads the unshortened destination URL instead of the shortened URL. This occurs without setting any cookies or other site data, so you can’t be tracked by your click.
• Stop videos from autoplaying. This works even on sites where Safari doesn’t stop autoplay, such as YouTube. And YouTube video ads are automatically skipped! Also stops videos from following you down the page when you scroll on many sites.
• Stop sites in Safari from pausing your audio in a background app such as Apple Music.
• Show native video controls. Use Picture-in-Picture from Safari on sites that don’t normally support it, including YouTube!
• Automatically select the highest video quality on YouTube!
• Hides the annoying popup banners prompting you to get the app on Google, Google Maps, DuckDuckGo, IMDb, Instagram, Quora, Reddit, and Tumblr!
• Font replacement. Substitute one font for another on web pages, such as Helvetica for Arial and Courier for Courier New.
• Custom URL redirects! Redirect new Reddit to old Reddit, Twitter to Nitter, YouTube to Invidious, etc. You can create any redirect that you want!
• Stop keyboard page zoom. Stops the page from zooming in when you show the software keyboard!
• Enable pinch-to-zoom on sites that prevent it, such as old reddit.
• Stops “Are you sure you want to leave this page?” alerts. Close your tabs without getting stopped by the site!
• Force external links to open in the current tab instead of a new tab. Remove target=”_blank” from links so that they no longer automatically create a new tab.
• Force external links to open in a new tab instead of the current tab. This is great if you’re scrolling through a list of links and want to open each one in a new tab.
• Force images to the front. Bypass the transparent overlay on sites such as Instagram that prevents you from dragging and opening the contextual menu on images.
• Warns when you paste or type beyond the maximum length in a password field or other text field. Stops you from accidentally losing characters!
• Protect all key presses (on iPad): Separated into options (1) Protect escape key and (2) Protect other keys
• Hide app banners: Fixed an issue with Request Desktop Website where the Sign in with Google banner could interfere with clicks even when hidden
• Stop autoplaying videos: Stop the video from following you down the page on sfgate.com
• Bypass link shorteners: Bypass YouTube redirects
• Bypass link shorteners: Now applies to the contextual menu