Whether you’re drawing on paper with a pencil, or cookies with royal icing, Camera Lucida will help you to be a better artist.
Unlike hundreds of apps that enable you to create digital art, Camera Lucida instead enables you to create amazing physical art! Our app works by having your iPhone or iPad’s camera pointed at your drawing surface. By watching your screen as you draw, you will be able to to see your reference image superimposed with your drawing – guiding your hand as little or as much as you want while you create your art. Better than a projector and more versatile than a light table, Camera Lucida has been fine-tuned for a decade to provide artists with the features they need to be accurate and creative.
For over a century, artists have made use of the camera lucida optical device to superimpose a live view of their subject onto their drawing or painting surface. Allowing the artist to trace what they see in front of them, the camera lucida is an invaluable aid in creating a lifelike and realistic drawing. Our app is truly a camera lucida for the 21st century!
With our Camera Lucida iPhone/iPad application, artists and non-artists alike can now draw anything they have a photo of. When looking at your screen, you’ll be able to simultaneously see the image you want to draw as well as your drawing surface as you create your work of art.
With over 11 years of continuous development, Camera Lucida’s functionality eclipses the competition. Check out these features:
– Advanced image filters to help you see with an artist’s eye.
– Multi-device support to enable you to stream live video of your drawing to a second device.
– Support for saving and restoring sessions, including automatically realigning your camera, sketch and reference image.
– Full color palette control, including using your own paints, markers, etc.
– Use any camera on your device and adjust for tilted and mirrored setups manually, or use an in-app purchase do do it automatically.
– Secondary video feed support to enable you to draw from a live subject, not just a photograph.
– Time-lapsed recordings of you creating your drawing you can share on social media.
– Support for external bluetooth keyboards to aid in creating large art through mirroring your display.
– Advanced tools such as vertical split screen sliders, timed image fading in and out, etc.
– Video tutorials you can watch from within the app or from YouTube.
– A full user manual available from within the app.
– Customer support that you can count on and an active user community for inspiration.
To use our application, you just place your iPhone or iPad between your drawing surface and your eyes and trace what you see on the screen!
A ton of fun for artists young or old, amateur or professional, the Camera Lucida app makes a great addition to any artist’s toolbox.
IMPORTANT: To use Camera Lucida, you need to fix your iPhone or iPad in place above your drawing. We use a stack of books or a flower vase to do this. Tutorials are included in the app to help you get started.
Splash art by Carolyn Hall Young, 1953-2016.
With version 14.0 you can now use multiple iOS devices at the same time and stream the video from one device to another! With this capability you can easily create enormous art, even murals. Or perhaps you just want to draw more comfortably with your large iPad screen in front of you and your iPhone’s camera poised about your drawing surface. It’s up to you!
This new version also brings another long-hoped for functionality: The ability to save your drawing session part way through and then restore the drawing session at a later time. And the icing on the cake is the ability to *automatically* realign your drawing, camera and reference image.
Additionally, users who have noticed the time-lapse videos can be “grainy” will be happy to hear that the default recordings are much cleaner and the app has a new user interface for letting you pick the format and quality of the output video.