Read, write, interact, and hack your NFC tags on your supporting iPhone!
Smart NFC is one of the first apps to support native NFC writing directly from your device. With numerous custom records to get you started, you’ll be writing to most NDEF-formatted NFC tags in no time. Don’t have any NDEF-formatted tags? Format them in the Advanced section.
Tag-specific features are being added that allow you to edit a tag’s memory directly, which opens the doors to all kinds of new features!
Tag not scanning? NDEF format new tags from the Advanced section to get them working right!
An NFC tag is written with a single “Message” which contains any number of “Records.” These records define text, links, and data to be stored on the tag. Most tags can be scanned by holding the top of your iPhone within a few centimeters. A chip is only limited only by its size. As long as the chip is NDEF-formatted (most are, and other formats will be supported in a later version) and it has enough space, the limits are endless!
– Read, write, duplicate, erase, and permanently lock NDEF-formatted tags
– Monitor a tag’s max capacity (usually somewhere between 256-1024 Bytes)
– Read, write, and interact with links (https://, sms://, facetime://, mailto:, etc.)
– Write a variety of pre-defined Social Media and website records
– Read and write text records with multiple language localizations
– Use Background Tag Reading to interact with NFC tags without an app. Write a link to a tag and then tap it to your phone. Voila! (Supported on iPhone XS and newer)
– Review and rewrite previous messages from your History to another tag
– Format factory-programmed tags as NDEF tags in-app (Supports most common tags such as Type 2 and Type 5 NFC tags)
– Read and write directly to a tag’s memory
– Send custom commands directly to a tag
– And of course, target your users better by using a tag’s unique identifier
– Dark Mode
– Privacy: we collect nothing as you use the app.
– NFC scanning is available on iPhone 7 and newer. iPad and iPod Touch do not have the required hardware.
– Background Tag Reading is available on iPhone XS and newer. iOS will present a notification for the first valid link stored on a tag.
– Any NDEF-formatted tags
– MIFARE Ultralight
– NTAG 213/215/216
– NXP ICODE® Tags, ISO 15693 Tags, and Type 5 Tags
Future support for:
– MIFARE DESFire
– MIFARE Classic tags are not currently supported by iOS
– Include a tag’s ID and/or its read count in a record
– Password-protect an NFC chip
– Connect to a Bluetooth device
Feel free to Tweet feature requests to me at @0xA1EC
– Media/Data Records: A highly requested feature: media records! Media records, or data records, essentially store files. Provide a MIME type, like application/json or test/plain, and enter your data in Base64 or Hexadecimal.
– Dynamic Deep Links: Link directly to Smart NFC’s Write page, AND pass along a default record to write. This will be great for automation! Feature request by: Twitter:@ARW. More details on the *how to* available in the “Learn More About Smart NFC” page.
– Updated “More Info” screen with notes on Deep Linking.
– Enable portrait mode only, to prevent unnecessary issues with NFC.
– Re-enabled “Rate Us” pop up. If you love Smart NFC, make sure to let other people know!
– Bug fixes and typos.