*** Featured in The Lancet (Sept 2011)
*** Genetics & Syndromes made easy for medical students, nurses and doctors!
*** Compiled by doctors from Clinical Genetics, Pediatrics and Cardiology backgrounds
1. Over 200 Genetic Conditions
2. Search using a symptom or sign
eg: conditions with cafe au lait spots or conditions with macrocephaly
3. Pictures of chromosomal location of a condition.
4. Basic concepts of Medical Genetics simplified.
5. NEW in Version 2.0: Links to external online resources.
6. NEW in Version 2.1: New section added- GENE TEASERS.
Genetic conditions are seen in almost all Medical specialities.
Medical Genetics is one of the fastest developing branches in Medicine.
Genetics 4 Medics application has been designed by a group of doctors, to be used as an educational tool by medics and other healthcare professionals interested in Medical Genetics.
We hope that this app will make learning Medical Genetics, easy and exciting for both students and practising clinicians alike.
This app has four sections.
1. GENETIC CONDITIONS
– Over 200 Genetic conditions described
– Each condition described under two headings:
a) Background & Genetics (gene mutation, chromosomal location etc)
b) Salient Features (common clinical features)
– Links to external online resources provided for majority of conditions described.
– Conditions mapped to its chromosomal locus
– We have mainly included conditions caused by single gene defect. However, a few conditions with genetic heterogeneity have also been included.
– Pictorial representation of chromosomes to facilitate visual learning and memory. Note: these pictures do not represent the exact banding pattern of a chromosome and are not drawn to scale.
– Tapping on the titles will open up the description page of the condition.
– About 150 clinical clues included
– Selecting a clue provides links to the conditions commonly associated with it.
– Basic genetic concepts explained using simple terminology
– Genetic investigations simplified.
5. GENE TEASERS
Food for your genes! Try out these questions in your spare time.
This is a Quiz section comprising of around 20 scenarios and associated MCQs.
Genetics 4 Medics application should only be used for educational purposes and NOT as a diagnostic tool. For help with diagnosing a genetic condition, please take advice from an experienced Clinical Geneticist.
Full Terms & Conditions available on downloading the app. Users must agree to these Terms & Conditions prior to use.
Please contact us for support or feedback – [email protected]
2. Optimised for all iPhone screens using iOS 11 or above.
3. Gene Teasers section now integral part of the app – no need to download separately.