Typewriter. Ring-binder. Scrapbook. Scrivener combines all the writing tools you need to craft your first draft, from nascent notion to final full stop.
Tailor-made for creating long manuscripts, Scrivener banishes page fright by allowing you to compose your text in any order, in sections as large or small as you like. Got a great idea but don’t know where it fits? Write when inspiration strikes and find its place later. Grow your manuscript organically, idea by idea.
Whether you plan or plunge, Scrivener works your way: meticulously outline every last detail first, or hammer out a complete draft and restructure later. Or do a bit of both. All text sections in Scrivener are fully integrated with its outlining tools, so working with an overview of your manuscript is only ever a tap away, and turning Chapter Four into Chapter One is as simple as drag and drop.
Need to refer to research? In Scrivener, your background material is always at hand. Write a description based on a photograph. Reference a video or PDF. Check for consistency with an earlier chapter. On the iPad, open two documents side-by-side; on the iPhone, flip between research and writing with just two taps.
Once you’re ready to share your work with the world, simply compile everything into a single document for printing, or export to popular formats such as Word, PDF, Final Draft or plain text. You can even share using different formatting, so that you can write in your favorite font and still keep your editor happy.
• Interactive tutorial project
• Keep each manuscript and supporting materials in a self-contained project
• Import Word, RTF, Final Draft and plain text files
• Easily split imported text into separate sections
• Write your manuscript in sections of any size
• View all sections as a single text using the “Draft Navigator” (iPad only)
• Quickly navigate sections using the “binder” sidebar
• Format with fonts and presets
• Comments, footnotes, links and highlights
• Simple bullets and lists
• Insert images
• Pinch-zoom to resize text
• Full-screen mode (iPad only)
• Typewriter scrolling mode keeps typed text center-screen (iPad only)
• Write a screenplay using scriptwriting mode
• Live word and character counts
• Set word and character count targets
• Find and replace
• Customizable keyboard row provides quick-access buttons for formatting, navigation and punctuation
• Comprehensive keyboard shortcuts for external keyboard users
• Dark mode
Find Your Structure
• Write in any order and reorganize later
• Write a synopsis for any text section and see it in the outline
• Expand, collapse and drill down into sections of your project
• Rearrange sections as index cards on the corkboard (iPad only)
• Project-wide search
• Track ideas using labels and status
• Apply custom icons to your sections
Refer to Research
• Import research material such as image, PDF and media files
• View research files or other sections right alongside your writing (iPad only)
• Every section has its own notes area for jotting down ideas
• Supports multi-tasking split screen mode (supported devices only)
Share Your Work
• Compile to a single document for sharing or printing
• Use different formatting in your exported or printed document
• Export to Word, RTF, Final Draft, PDF or plain text
• Convert rich text to Markdown for sharing with Markdown apps
• Create and email zipped backups of your projects
• Use Dropbox to sync between devices and with the macOS and Windows versions of Scrivener*
• Copy projects between devices via iTunes
* Requires a Dropbox account (not compatible with iCloud).
You can contact us at [email protected], visit our forums at http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum, or find us @scrivenerapp on Twitter.
• App icon tweaked to match macOS app.
• Dropbox syncing speed improved.
• Scrivener now supports fonts installed on iOS from font provider apps such as Adobe Creative Cloud and Font Diner. (The font chooser UI has been updated to use Apple’s standard font picker to allow for this.)
• Search bars have been updated to use the most recent iOS UI conventions.
• PDF research files are now shown using Apple’s dedicated PDF view rather than a web view, improving the viewing experience.
• Updated outline keyboard shortcuts so that left/right arrow keys now expand folders and groups rather than drill down into them. To drill down, now use Cmd-right or hit return; to go back, hit Cmd-return.
• Improved styles so that typographic settings such as small caps, medium, semibold and other features added to styles created on macOS or Windows now work in the iOS version.
• Fixed crashes on trying to access project screen help and the Bookmarks and Recents list in some circumstances.
• Fixed bug whereby typed text would disappear beneath the visible area on some iPhones.
• Fixed bug whereby drafts navigator was blank.
• Fixed bugs with some controls appearing light in dark mode.
• Fixed issue with scriptwriting mode in non-English languages.
• Fixed several keyboard positioning issues.
• Fixed issue whereby exporting PDF files using hyphenation could result in truncated files.
• Dozens of other minor bug fixes and enhancements.
Note: Scrivener now requires iOS 11 and above.