“How much drive space will I need for this Alexa Mini shoot?”
“What’s the dynamic range of the Venice?”
“How long will these batteries last me on a C300 Mk III?”
“How big is this ProRes file going to be when I export?”
If you’ve ever asked these questions, this is the app for you. Whether you’re making decisions on set, troubleshooting in an edit bay, or figuring out which camera to buy, we’ve got you covered.
Search over 150 cameras with a list that includes Arri, Canon, Red, Sony, Blackmagic, Panasonic and more. Or browse by format, from standards like ProRes and DNxHR to the newer Blackmagic Raw and ProRes Raw.
• The Specs tool includes dynamic range, sensor size, native ISO, lens mounts, resolutions, maximum FPS and a link to the manufacturer’s website for firmware & manuals.
• The Storage tool lets you determine how much footage you can fit on your camera card or hard drive– or how much storage space you’ll need for a given recording time.
• The Transfer tool lets you predict just how long it will take to move your files, whether you’re transferring to a drive or over the internet.
• The Power tool can tell you how long your batteries will last, or how many you’ll need for a shoot, with the option to factor in accessories like your monitor or wireless transmitter.
• The Sensor tool shows the sensor size for the current resolution. Also browse a list of all the camera’s sensor sizes, or compare sensors between cameras.
• The Compatibility tool shows how well each camera and format performs with the latest versions of Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro, Avid Media Composer, Assimilate Scratch and DaVinci Resolve. Also see if it’s been approved by Netflix for original programming.
• Jot down observations and anything you want to remember about a camera with Notes. Compare specs or any other tool like Storage or Compatibility. Save your calculations and return to them later with a tap. Mark any camera as a favorite for quick access. And more!
“With the abundance of camera formats now out there, it’s easy to get lost with which system can do what. With the Cameras + Formats app this information is now at your fingertips.”
“This is one of my favorites. It has every single piece of information for nearly every single camera on the market today. Comparing recording formats between cameras has never been easier.”
-Shane Hurlbut, ASC
• Support •
Send us an email at [email protected], or follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram for news, announcements and support!
For a full list of supported cameras and formats, visit http://grayhourmedia.com/formats
Note that while we technically support iOS 12 for our users on older devices, some features and UI elements require iOS 13 or later.
Current countries for manufacturer phone support are the US, UK, Canada, France, Germany, and China.
• Disclaimer •
The “price” feature uses affiliate links from B&H Photo Video. We receive a commission if you make a purchase from one of these links.
• About Us •
Cameras + Formats is developed by Zak Ray and the team at Gray Hour Media in NYC. Gray Hour produces fresh and original content for film, episodic and the web. Head to www.grayhourmedia.com to check out our work!
-Added Kinefinity Mavo Edge
-Added iPhone 13
-Updated Sony FX9 to reflect firmware V3.0